Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Restrictions and Symbols

It's interesting how putting a restriction on something can make it grow so much. As I'm developing the rules to this game I'm making, I've realized when I say 'You can't do this' I develop the game around that, and it becomes something more interesting. I doubt that's sage insight into how the world works, but it's kind of cool to see it play out in my own work/mind.

Making games is a lot harder than it seems.

There are so many symbols that exist, it's kind of ridiculous. There's no way I'm going to gather together a comprehensive collection of them to include for the card game. If I were to do that, it would take many years of work, and constant updates to the game (which, I guess, I'd be totally willing to do). But, even then, I don't think it would be possible. Symbols are a constantly evolving/shifting/changing aspect of language or stories.

They're awesome, but more like water than earth.

I'm having a blast working with this game, so I'm not going to spend too much more time on this post. Let me know if there's a symbol that you might think I might be missing out on.

No comments:

Post a Comment