Sunday, September 8, 2013

Characters, Cars, and Wilco Company

"An idea has no worth at all without believable characters to implement it; a plot without characters is like a tennis court without players. Daffy Duck is to a Buck Rogers story what John McEnroe was to tennis. Personality. That is the key, the drum, the fife. Forget the plot."

I've been spending too much time prepping the court, and not enough time coaching the characters. Characters are huge, and currently my plot is bigger than all my characters rolled into one. That's not a good thing. I enjoy fiction for many reasons, but the biggest is probably (definitely) the characters.

So, I'm going to be taking a little break from my fantasy story, and I'm going to jump into a story with a loose sense of plot, and focus greatly on the characters. The story won't take itself too seriously, and I'm going to do my best to simply have fun with it. It's about a race car driver named Wilco Company whose sails are billowed by the very gusts of death itself. It'll be Science Fiction, but I'm not sure it will be future Earth or not yet. I guess I'll find out.

I'll try to keep you updated on how that turns out.

I got a chance to play some Injustice: Gods Among Us recently, and will probably go do that again once I finish this post. It's a ton of fun, and I'm really enjoying the amount of characters I'm interested in playing. Aquaman and Martian Manhunter are, of course, the best.

I bought Forza Motorsport Four mostly because of this list. I'm currently crushing on racing games, and if I can get into them properly, I'll be pleased. I have yet to play that though, and in order to crush Jeremy and Hans in Injustice I've got to practice wielding the great and mighty Aquaman.

Thinking about why we sleep is interesting. I really like hearing people's ideas on the subject. Mostly, when I hear these ideas, I think to myself, "Well, if that's true, why do animals sleep?"

Currently reading Terry Pratchett's Feet of Clay. That man is a genius. The Discworld is a masterpiece.

Super psyched for tonight's The Newsroom. Watch the video I linked if you want to want to watch the television show. It's great. I'm a little miffed (that's a real word) that there wasn't an episode last week, but all will be forgive come tonight when I get my fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment