Sunday, June 9, 2013

Friends and Fun

Spending time with friends is one my of favorite things to do. They are undoubtedly important to me, and these transition periods of life kinda suck. I had a pretty tight circle in high school, and while I stayed connected with most of them on at least shallow levels, it was disappointing to move on from them. Thankfully a few of them stuck around, and moved me into a new group of friends, the one that's kind of morphing into something new as I type these words.

There's people leaving, and people coming, and that parallels nicely with the whole 'my life progressing' thing. It's disappointing and exciting at the same time. People are leaving town and leaving the workplace, but people are also coming back from being away, reestablishing contact, and it seems like I might have more time to spend with these beautiful people now that I'm drifting away from scholarly duties. It's weird growing up. Thankfully the Internet exists.

I've been watching my friend Jeremy stream The Walking Dead game recently, and it's been quite a hoot. The game is alright (which helps), but the best part is just hanging out and watching him play. We all mock him for the terrible decisions he makes, and argue about what he should have done when we disagree. Inside jokes cropped up pretty quickly, and have lasted the duration of the game. It lets us hang out without all the hassle of actually getting together. People can duck out when they need to, and come back just as easily. We've got something to do, we don't have to sit around a table and debate what should fill our night.

Obviously physically spending time with them is optimal, but when I can't have that, digitally is a worthy substitute. I'm thinking of streaming some games myself here soon. I would like to give us more opportunities to hang out in that manner, but I'm wary that it would cut into the time I should be writing. If I do stream I would definitely want as many people as possible to join in the watching, harassing, and general good times. It sort of feels like streaming something is like throwing an extremely easy to host mini party where I'm the center of attention. How could that not be the greatest?

Games I'm thinking about playing in front of y'all are Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, L.A. Noire, and OFF, the last of which looks sort of absurd. If you have a preference for which one you'd like to see me oaf around in, lemme know, and I'm definitely open to take any and all suggestions. I might even take a vote. When I blur the lines of my priorities I'll make some streaming announcements, it'd be a good time, and I would love to have you there.

Until then, let's shake this square town and blast off for kicksville.

No comments:

Post a Comment