Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Book 2, "Baby Don't Hurt Me"

I finished season one of The Newsroom recently. I do have to say that I like the show so far, and I'm looking forward to season two starting up here soon. I would also like to reveal, at this point in time, that I'm a sucker for a good romance. I'm not sure that I was completely aware of that fact about me until this show (not that it's groundbreakingly romantic or anything), but I've pretty much decided that it's an undeniable fact.

I think that's a little odd for me to cope with, because being a sucker for a good romance kinda sucks when you're a guy that tells himself often that he doesn't need or want a relationship. It sucks even more when a guy has convinced himself that having a woman would lower the quality of his life considerably. It seems quite contradictory to both want something and not want something at the same time if you asked me. I guess I could get into talking about the heart vs the mind here, but I feel like, right now, there's nothing new I could bring to that conversation that hasn't already been said, and said better, and with more wisdom than I feel qualified to pretend to have.


It does, however, give me an excuse to introduce a few pages of work from Past Justin, who was hopelessly enamored with a young woman.

I'm not against women. I feel that anyone who thinks that women and men are different is foolish, but anyone who thinks that they are the same is wrong. I've been in relationships. I have female friends, who are awesome, and I have a mother, who is wonderful. I have two grandmothers, and a little sister (not quite a woman, but still relevant). I even have two stepsisters.

I simply think that the idea of a relationship has been built too high for me, and a real relationship would show me the faults of the ideas I've been given by fiction everywhere. My reality has been stained by dreams of something better.

I think the problem is, often nice fiction that makes you feel good ends before it ends. Death is the mile marker that we all come to eventually, both in our lives and in the lives of loved ones. That's not fun. And if the relationship ends before death, that's also not fun. Life's hard, and this escapist fiction might provide a temporary release, but it almost adds to the problem of pain. Quick disclaimer, I've been interested in writing because of this escape (or one similar to it), because I want to grant people the opportunity to visit my world, and leave this one for a time. I'm not against it, I just feel like if you're going to create it, you need to try to understand the consequences of your actions. I'm also not the most world wary individual. I don't think I'll ever really be able to understand the consequences of anything I do, but as long as I make an attempt at understanding, I'll be alright in my eyes (hopefully).


---

May I replace your wilting flower?

12/22/07

---

Thinking about love, and reflecting on it's place in fiction makes me wonder about how it functions in that medium, how I want to make it work for me, when I write.

Romantic tension is effective. It seems to be a great way to gather an audience, and to keep them. The problem I think a lot of long running series encounter is what to do with the plot after the couple eventually gets together, especially when both characters are integral. That's something I need to work out in advance, I think.

---

Grasp the solid breath that flows from my lungs
Hear the heeded music hung out to dry
Taste my tongue with your's and taste what I taste finally
Feel my feeling touch feel your unfelt skin
Let my lips love you lightly
Let my arms hold you tightly
But most of all let me
want you
need you
love you

---

The poem on the paper was a tad confusing, so above is the re-rendered edition, and below is the straight up transcription.

---

*Grasp the solid breath that flows from my lungs

Feel my thoughtful touch on your supple/needing skin

1.*Hear the heeded music Hung out to dry 1.

*Taste my tongue with yours, and taste what I taste, finally 3.

*Be warmed by a blanked of my sensual/intamint Breath *2.

*Feel my feeling touch feel your unfelt skin 4.

*Let my lips love you rightly lightly 5.

*Let my arms hold you tightly 6.
But most of all let me care want you, care about you, need you, love you

---

No comments:

Post a Comment