Monday, July 15, 2013

Book 2, "Who Am I Around You?"

Who am I around you?
I've been meeting a good plenty of new people recently, and that's been great. I've been hanging out with old friends, and that's been awesome (I love nostalgia). I have been trying to drum up interviews, and I'm going to be getting some roommates in the coming week. Then, of course, I've been keeping current with my usual friends, and enjoying (thoroughly) the wonderful company of my co-workers. Then there's family, and complete strangers. I noticed a long time ago that I tend to act differently around different people. I don't think that's a terrible thing, I think it's natural and something that most people do, even if the change is slight.

I think, after noticing this, I've been able to dial it down some. With some effort and self awareness, I've sort of streamlined myself. Chances are, unless you're a special case, you're going to get a Justin that's pretty close to the one everyone else gets. Maybe not, maybe that's generalizing myself too much. People (all people) are super complicated. You know, actually, no, that's wrong. Each and every one of you gets a unique Justin, geared toward you. Granted, in specific groups I'll probably fall into some default setting, but for the most part, you know a Justin no one else knows.

Realizing that I change around people made me think about relationships in a weird way.

---

I like people when I like myself around them?

So For me to like you I have to like myself or how I act around you?

If the grass is always greener on the other side, stand in the middle

If the grass is always greener on the other side, leave the field

If the grass is always greener on the other side maybe you should hate your side

Who cares about how green the grass is If their is no oxegen

1/12/09 - Reflection
Dude second to last one is freaking awesome. Why did I use the last one for my shirt?

10/16/11
What? No way the last one and the third to last one are the best.

107/3/13
Yeah, 10/16/11 Justin is definitely right. Sorry, 1/12/09

---

I think the first notion is still something to consider. I imagine it's not that simple, both people definitely play a role in the relationship, but it's interesting to think that we're not only judging the person we're with when we spend time with people, but we're judging ourselves as well. Judging might not be the right word.

Why So Serious?
The thing about grass will make sense later. I used to draw on white shirts, and make up little comics or whatever. This was where the idea for one of my first shirts, if not my first shirt, came from. I'll post the shirt later on, with some other entries that had to deal with me butchering the spelling of oxygen some more.

Also, I don't know if you guys think it's awesome, but I think it's great that a dialogue between myself has found its way onto the page. The best part is my disagreement with myself. People change, that's not a bad thing.

I always thought it was dumb when I would hear authors talk about how their characters had a say in what got written. I especially thought it was dumb when they would say that their characters talked with them. I don't think that's so dumb anymore. I have a character who has flip flopped between minor and major antagonist too many times, and dealing with that is the reason I haven't busted out too many words in the past few days.

There's some other stuff going on in my life, some of it's actually kind of awesome, but it's late and I have to work early. Thanks for reading, and for allowing me to be this Justin, if only online.

<3?


No comments:

Post a Comment